Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Contrast


self portrait as fauvist
Originally uploaded by nicquiltz

Another self-portrait, this time in the fauvist style of pure wild colours and high contrast. I thought this one would suit the theme of the Self Portrait Challenge which I've joined.

Lots of people have commented, both on the blog and in person, that the self-portraits I've been doing are something of a contrast with me in real life in terms of the serious, even sombre expression I have painted. I find this very interesting and wonder whether it is entirely due to my inept painting skills, or if it is in some way that my vision of myself is not the same as what others see.

In either case, it is a conundrum I'm determined to find a solution to, which is why the SPC held such attraction for me. It will be interesting to see if I am able to capture a more happy mood.

6 comments:

Princess of The Golden Thread said...

Hi Nic,

I think this portrait's more you than the drawing - the bright colours give more an idea of your personality and vibrancy/animation. I agree that both are more serious than how you look to me - Maybe it's your working face? Have you done them from a mirror or photo?

Cheers,
Lucy

dawn said...

this is beautiful. so vivid and rich.

Jeremy Stockwell said...

Wow -- a painting! Sometimes I have trouble motivating myself to push a button on my camera!!

:-)

Great colors.

Love the side-lighting portrayed here.

Sandra Lundy said...

Wow...this is great! Love this interpretation :)

Anonymous said...

I Love It! I think it's a phenomenal representation of the word. KUDOS!

Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

Great blend of colors!